Thursday, April 10, 2008

Saying Goodbye to a Valuable Resource

I haven't been able to do a lot of posting the past few days because I've been at a conference. My review of Greg Clark's book not withstanding (I actually wrote a good part of that just before I left); my time has been dominated by presenting at and attending sessions or otherwise involved in travel. Consequently, when I got to my office this morning and finally got a chance to look at the backlog of mail, I found out that yesterday's (4/9/08) issue of The Wall Street Journal included the last article by one of my favorite columnists, Jonathan Clements.

Jonathan has been writing a column for the Journal since 1994. I've read most of his "Getting Going" series with amusement and interest. He always does an excellent job of explaining issues related to personal finance in a way that experienced as well as novice readers can benefit. He often provided me with a new perspective using an old and familiar tool.

His final column was no different. He talked about why we all should save and invest for our futures. "Nothing new there," you may say. But by using some simple old tools of economics: opportunity cost, risk/return, and money as a store of value, he provided one of the best cases for saving that I've read in some time. It is succinct and powerful. I would strongly recommend you consider sharing it with your students.

Now, just in case you're just discovering this resource, Clements also produced an online column with links to 10 of his favorite columns from the past. It was a great way for him to say "goodbye." I know that, for me, Wednesday mornings with the Journal won't be the same.

I hope you find them helpful and I look forward to your comments.

No comments: