Monday, March 16, 2009

The Future of Capitalism

This post relates to the following Keystone Economic Principles:
1. We all make choices.
2. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.
3. All choices have consequences.

and
4. Economic systems influence choices.

For those of you teaching economic systems, or for whom economic systems is an ongoing part of your course, whether it's economics, current events or whatever, you should be aware of a new on-going series on The Future of Capitalism on the Financial Times website.

Already there are a number of interesting and relevant articles that can be used either as your background or provide the basis for classroom discussion, debate or other activity.

If you scroll down the page, you'll find two that interested me as a student of the history of economics, one by Amartya Sen on Adam Smith (although parts of it are reminiscent of his piece reviewed on this blog on March 11), and another by Paul Kennedy that proposes that policy-makers need to spend some time reviewing the "Big Four" economic thinkers: Smith, Marx, Schumpeter and Keynes. While I don't necessarily agree with Kennedy's reasons, I don't disagree with his prescription.

I have and I would recommend bookmarking the page as I think this will be an interesting source of future material, both personal and professional.

I look forward to your comments.

No comments: