Friday, May 22, 2009

Rock Stars

A couple years ago, when I first read The World is Flat, I was struck by one of his statements.
"In China today, Bill Gates is Britney Spears. In America today, Britney Spears is Britney Spears - and that is our problem."

I couldn’t help but be reminded of it when I saw this commercial.


Here are some questions for your students:
Who affects the overall quality of life more, engineers, entrepreneurs or entertainers?
Are things changing?
Is “Britney Spears still Britney Spears”, or is the current economy changing our priorities?
This post relates to the following Keystone Economic Principle:
8. Quantity and quality of available resources impact living standards.

3 comments:

Forex said...

I'am not agree with that

Tim Schilling said...

What part do you disagree with?

Katie Reisinger said...

I was just browsing through these posts, and was caught by the video from this one. I believe the biggest influence in the lives of the American public are the entertainers, the commercialized industry that has said "Bigger is Better" for years now. Without the entertainer, the commericals that advertise something, the entrepreneurs (forgive my spelling) and the engineers would not have anyone to market to; without the help of the entertainers and endorsements from commercials the services would not be portrayed as desirable.

However, with the current state of the economy is it possible that America is straying away from Bigger, and realizing that Better may not be the same?